Many ask the question is it safe to get a tattoo while breastfeeding? You need to weigh up the risks as an individual as well as consult with your tattoo artist about their policy and risks involved. Below is some information to help make a decision.
1. The molecular structure of tattoo ink is too large to pass through breast milk.
2. Hygiene. Is the tattoo artist reputable for hygiene, like gloves, sterilizing equipment, fresh needles etc. There is always the risk of blood born infections (HIV, hepatitis, syphilis)
3. Follow the correct aftercare to dramatically reduce chances of infection
4. Ensure your tattoo artist doesn't use inks containing heavy metals.
5. Wait until your milk supply is fully established (6-8 weeks) as your body's response to pain can decrease supply or even wait until 12 months when your baby isn't relying on your milk.
So bottom line is there are always risks involved and you need to make an informed decision.